Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reading # 1 TPACK Reflection and Answers

Without a doubt, teachers must teach mathematics using instructional technology. I have known this for quite some time, but knowing it and doing it are two different things. I have spent a great deal of time searching for technology tools, training to use those tools, and preparing to use
those tools in the classroom. I also agree that we must understand how our students learn to make this process effective. Bringing all of this together is very time consuming, but it is getting better with each new experience.
I would have to say the major theme in mathematics is problem solving. Students are expected to use their knowledge of math concepts and math skills to solve every day problems.
Mathematics does rely on specific processes to problem solve because although there are many different problems to solve using math, they can be grouped by the type of problem.
Most of what I know about math is dependent on the way I learned it. I believe this is why it is so difficult to make the transition to using instructional technology. Most high schools and colleges do not teach students using instructional technology, so if teachers do not participate in the voluntary trainings they do not see this type of teaching modeled. Teachers must desire to change with the times, but they also should be paid to train and provided the necessary equipment. Much of the technology I use in my classroom came from going to trainings for which I was not compensated monetarily, but with equipment for my classroom. When you are trying to earn a living for your family yet educate your students in the best possible learning environment, there is conflict between the two.
I definitely think of my content as an integrated whole, but I find myself instructing some concepts by chapters. Again, I'm working every day to get beyond this, but it is a process.
I believe my knowledge of math does represent an integration of concepts and processes that connect them, because I have diligently worked to develop my skills.
We can marry instructional strategies and representations of content themes with technology with the proper training and tools. This is an ongoing process to which teachers and school systems must commit. We need to use technology in instruction to offer students better and more interactive models of the content while at the same time giving them the experience with the technology tools they may use in the work place. There is much support for teaching with technology including the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, as well as the 21st Century Learning Goals and the Teachers Teaching with Technology organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment